Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas 2012


I honestly can't believe that it almost Christmas and this is the first time I have posted this year on my blog. I have been a very busy girl this year.

Nate and I are planning our wedding for next year. My son is now in 10th grade. I bought a house in my home town of Excelsior Springs. I have a wonderful job as an office manager for an awesome Chiropractor. It has been a exciting year.

I have knitted all year without buying new yarn. I made a promise to myself to only use what I have this year and I stuck to that goal! Yippie!! I am surprised with all the knitting that I did this year I can hardly see a dent in the stash. But with our new house I now have a yarn room. (I do share it with the laundry room, but it's big enough.)
I still have 3 tubs of yarn that I didn't even crack the lid on this year. I have cubbies still full of hanks, and a ton of organization left to do to get a real count of remaining yarn.

My goal next year is to keep knitting with yarn I already have and finding projects to fit the yarn, until all the tubs are cleared out. I have lots of cotton yarn left and I have been working on wash clothes designed after pie shawls. Using this idea I end up with round dish/wash clothes and they have been a hit this year. I have had more requests for wash clothes then I had anticipated. Hats have also been a highly requested item this year. I have made them with left over sock yarn, cotton and some cotton acrylic blend that I found in my stash. I found a lovely pattern on Raverly called Cable & Cross that the boys in my family love. The pattern is an easy repeat and the fabric has enough give that they can wear the hat in several different ways. I did find out that if you use a tweed yarn the pattern gets lost. If you use a painted yarn the pattern looks busy, but if you use a semi solid or solid both the yarn and pattern show up beautifully.

I made my very first pie shawl this year. I used Buffalo Gold and it took me over 3 months. It was finished just in time for my fianc├ęs Mom's 80th birthday. She loves the shawl and understands the work and detail of the piece. She was excited to wear it to church and beamed with pride from the attention.
I love making things for people that understand the time and love that goes into making the items.

My soon-to-be sister-in-law, owns Missouri Star Quilt Company http://www.missouriquiltco.com/ and has tried talking me into learning to quilt. I love her, but knitting is my gig and sewing machines scare me...lol. I'm trying to talk her into selling yarn.. maybe someday ;-)

I love my soon to be new family. They have opened their hearts to my son and I, and have made us feel warm and welcome and that we belong. I am truly blessed to be entering this family in the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment